Flag of Bulgaria
|Design||A horizontal tricolour of white, green and red. |
After the liberation of Bulgaria following the Russo-Turkish War of 1877–1878, the flag was described in the Tarnovo Constitution of 1879 as follows:
"Art. 23. The Bulgarian people's flag is three-coloured and consists of white, green and red colours, placed horizontally."
From 1948 until 1990 the emblem of People's Republic of Bulgaria was placed on the left side of the white stripe. It contained a lion within a wreath of wheat ears below a red five-pointed star and above a ribbon bearing the years 681, the year of the establishment of the First Bulgarian Empire by Asparukh, and 1944, the year when the Fatherland Front took power which led to the establishment of the People's Republic of Bulgaria.
The new Constitution of Bulgaria, adopted in 1991, describes the Bulgarian flag as follows:
"Art. 166. The flag of the Republic of Bulgaria shall be a tricolour: white, green, and red from top, placed horizontally." 
The pan-Slavic white-blue-red colors were modified by substituting a green band (representing freedom) for the blue.