Flag of Cambodia
|Design||Three horizontal bands of blue, red (double width) and blue, with a depiction of Angkor Wat in white centred on the red band. |
Since around 1850, the Cambodian flag has featured a depiction of Angkor Wat in the centre. The current flag, with a blue border and red central was adopted following Cambodia's independence in 1948. It was used until 9 October 1970, when a new flag was introduced for Lon Nol's Khmer Republic that lasted until the takeover of the Khmer Rouge in 1975. In 1993, the 1948 Cambodian flag was readopted.
The flag used today is the same as that established in 1948, although since then five other designs have been used. Almost all made use of the image of the temple of Angkor Wat in one form or another. This famous temple site, which dates from the 12th century, was built by the Mahidharapura monarchs. 
Red and blue are traditional colours of Cambodia.