Flag of Guernsey
|Design||White field with the red cross of St. George with an additional gold cross within it. |
The previous flag of Guernsey was the St George's Cross. Guernsey was permitted to use it in 1936 for its state flag. The current flag of Guernsey was adopted in 1985 and consists of the red cross of St. George with an additional gold cross within it. The change was prompted by confusion at international sporting events over competitors from Guernsey and England using the same flag. It was designed by the Guernsey Flag Investigation Committee chaired by the then Deputy Bailiff Graham Dorey and first flew in the island on 15 February 1985. 
The gold cross represents Duke William of Normandy, who, it is claimed, had such a cross on his flag in the Battle of Hastings, given to him by Pope Alexander II.