Flag of Martinique
|Design||Blue field quartered by a white cross and with a white, L-shaped snake in each canton. |
The snake flag of Martinique has no official status on the island. It is a historical flag dating from an edict issued 4 August 1766, specifying that vessels of the French Colony of Martinique and Saint Lucia should fly a version of the French ensign, which at the time was a white cross on a blue field, with L-shaped (for Lucia) snakes in each quarter of the cross. The same design is used for the lesser coat of arms. 
The snakes are fer-de-lance vipers (Bothrops lanceolatus, French trigonocéphale) native to Martinique.