Flag of Monaco
|Design||Two equal horizontal bands, red (top) and white (bottom) |
The present bicolor design was adopted on April 4, 1881, under Prince Charles III.
Monaco's original flag, which was similar to its current state flag but bore an older version of its coat of arms, was in use from the principality's early days (except during its annexation to France from 1793 to 1814) until the present, simpler design was adopted in 1881. 
Red and white have been the heraldic colors of the House of Grimaldi since at least 1339.