Flag of North Dakota
|Design||Unit banner carried by the state's troop in the Philippine–American War. |
The design for the flag of the state of North Dakota is an almost exact copy of the unit banner carried by the state's troop contingent in the Philippine–American War. It was adopted by the North Dakota Legislative Assembly on March 3, 1911, although the color was not precisely specified at that time. Legislation in 1943 brought the flag in line with the original troop banner, which is on display at the North Dakota Heritage Center in Bismarck. 
The flag also resembles the Great Seal of the United States.