Flag of Panama
|Design||A flag is divided into four rectangles: the top quadrants are: a white field on a hoist side bearing a blue five-pointed star in the center and a red field on the fly side; the bottom quadrants are: a blue field on a hoist side and a white field on the fly side bearing a red five-pointed star in the center. |
The current Panamanian flag was made by María de la Ossa de Amador, the first First Lady of Panama, on November 1, 1903. Manuel Amador Guerrero's son, Manuel Encarnación Amador, generally recognized as a skillful drawer, sketched the flag and showed it to María de la Ossa de Amador, who, after much difficulty in avoiding the Colombian army, eventually produced three copies of the flag, which were all eventually flown in Panama City upon independence, and distributed widely. 
This flag was to reflect the political situation of the time. The blue was intended to represent the Conservative Party and the red to represent the Liberal Party. The white was intended to stand for peace and purity; the blue star stands for the purity and honesty of the life of the country; the red star represents the authority and law in the country; and together the stars stand for the new republic.