Flag of Slovakia
|Design||A horizontal tricolour of white, blue and red; charged with a shield containing a white cross is placed to left of centre. |
Slovakia's flag in its current form (but with another coat of arms on it or without any arms) can be dated back to the revolutionary year 1848. It was also used semi-officially in Czechoslovakia before World War II, by the Slovak Republic during WWII, and finally adopted (without the coat of arms) on 1 March 1990 as the flag of the Slovak Republic within Czechoslovakia. The coat of arms was added on 3 September 1992 and a special law describing the details of the flag followed in February 1993. 
White, blue, and red derive from the Pan-Slav colors. The Slovakian coat of arms consists of a red shield bordered in white and bearing a white double-barred cross of St. Cyril and St. Methodius surmounting three blue hills.